I was thinking of the things that should be considered when traveling, and being one of the many who enjoys outdoor activities, I really know the importance of responsible traveling. We travel to collect memories. We travel to enjoy, but it doesn’t mean that we are permitted to do whatever we want to, especially if it harms our natural resources.
The idea of writing this started when I was browsing the internet and trying to get more tips on how I can be a more responsible traveler, then I saw Leave No Trace’s website and found the 7 Leave No Trace Principles:
I could say that they have given a complete guide to travelers. We must all learn to consider the stated principles in order for us to have a fun and safe journey.
I remember when we visited Talisayen Cove in Zambales last January 2017. My friends and I identified our travel needs as we all wanted to ensure that: 1. We will be having fun; 2. We will not be spending money like water; And 3. Mother nature is still protected.
These are the things that we have considered:
- Know the place and its regulations.
- Check the weather. Make sure it gets along with the plan, otherwise, have another option.
- Prepare a checklist of the things that need to be brought (ex. emergency kit, medicine, clothes, personal hygiene kit, tent, canned goods, in case we ran out of food, etc.). We drafted our checklist in an excel file and noted the responsible person for each item.
- Budget planning to avoid overspending (ex. gasoline, toll fee, entrance fee, boat fee, accommodation, etc.). We went on a DIY travel and stayed in the island overnight, so we also had our meals planned.
- Know exactly where to go.
- Hello, Waze! Having this app (or a map) is a must, especially for someone like me who has an average sense of direction.
- Bring a tent but make sure to pitch it in a perfect and safe spot only.
- Pack it in, pack it out. Bring own trash bag and properly dispose waste.
- Leave alone whatever is seen. As the saying goes, leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos, kill nothing but time.
- Give everyone the opportunity to have fun. Respect other visitors.
We spent more than a week arranging our trip and we all didn’t mind staying up late just to finalize everything. The result? All efforts were paid off because we achieved our goal as planned.
One thought on “Things to Consider When Traveling”